Friday, August 04, 2006

Satisfaction


So if I've got this straight, Satisfaction is Smile minus a member and with a new name. And that, my friends, is a beautiful thing. I just read an article written back when Smile was still a functioning band where singer Michael Rosas said that he wasn't happy with the band's last album, Girl Crushes Boy. Regardless of Rosas' opinion of the CD, there are really some fantastic tracks on the CD including "The Best Years" and "This Freaky Slow Dance" (somebody remind me to post these). Rosas was raised in the OC punk rock scene, even playing in the band Inside Out with future Rage Against the Machine singer Zach de la Rocha. Rosas slowly worked his way towards a more melodic pop-punk sound and started the band Smile which was, ever so briefly, signed to Atlantic Records. I caught the band live once, in Cincinnati, opening for Everclear and had the opportunity to interview Rosas in the '50s-themed restaurant next door to the club (The Garage) where the bands would play later that night.

Satisfaction, like Smile, seems to play in the same league as bands like Weezer, Ozma, and Rooney and they played a show a few months ago with my favorite band of 2006, The Shys, so they instantly win points in my book. Currently only an EP is available but I'm holding out hope for a full length by the end of the year.

Dig it.

MP3: "Nothing Oh Nothing" (Satisfaction)

0 comments: